- Health Impact Assessment Practical Guide from HIA Connect (312 KB)
A practical 43 page overview of HIA.
- Healthy Development Measurement Tool (HDMT) (2007)
Developed by the San Francisco Department of Public Health, the HDMT is an evidence-based practice to consider public-health objectives in land use planning. It provides land use planners, public agencies, and community stakeholders with a set of metrics to assess the extent to which urban development projects, plans and policies affect health. Click here for a PDF version of the tool.
- Ison, Erica ed. 2002. Rapid appraisal tool for health impact assessment – a task-based approach. Eleventh iteration.
A classic and very detailed manual describing the Rapid HIA approach.
Part of the LEED suite of rating systems coordinated by the Green Building council, this one incorporates a number of health topics and findings.
- Merseyside Guidelines for Health Impact Assessment (2nd ed.) 2001.
Published by the International Health IMPACT Assessment Consortium, this is often cited.
- Policy Screening Tool
A short article on a clear and simple Swedish screening tool. The article includes the question checklist.
- Sustainable Sites Initiative
Led by the ASLA this rating system for sustainable landscapes includes a section onhuman health and wellbeing.
Back to Good Information about Health Impact Assessment (HIA)